Rodgers: slim win "a wonderful opportunity" for Celtic
The Hoops have a slender advantage to take to St Petersburg, but coach Brendan Rodgers does not believe their Europa League tie is over yet.
Brendan Rodgers' praised his Celtic side following their Europa League first-leg win over Zenit, but insisted there is still work to do in the Last 32 tie. The Scottish Premiership champions looked set to be frustrated as they failed to turn their dominance into a goal at Celtic Park, with Rodgers tweaking his tactics and struggling for creativity in the final third.
McGregor seals late win for Celtic
But substitute Charly Musonda created the winner for Callum McGregor 12 minutes from time, leaving the Celtic boss delighted with both the performance and the result. "I thought it was a brilliant performance from start to finish," Rodgers told BT Sport. "We limited [Zenit] and it was a very mature performance. We showed our personality and the development of the team. I'm very happy, but we're only halfway there. We knew it would be two difficult games, but we've given ourselves a wonderful opportunity. We defended very well, we'll take the clean sheet and it sets it up for next week."
Celtic travel to Zenit's Krestovsky Stadium for the deciding leg next week.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds