Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde said Philippe Coutinho was benched for the good of the team following the LaLiga leaders' victory at Eibar.
Iniesta preferred as Barcelona win at Ipurua
Despite being ineligible for Tuesday's Champions League showdown with Chelsea following his arrival from fellow last-16 participants Liverpool, Coutinho was dropped for Barça's 2-0 win on Saturday.
Coutinho - a 160-million-euro signing last month - started the goalless draw against Getafe but made way for Andrés Iniesta as goals from Luis Suárez and Jordi Alba saw Barça equal a club record of 31 games unbeaten in LaLiga.
"I think it was best for my team"
Explaining his decision to drop Coutinho, Valverde told reporters: "I think it was best for my team to try to win.
"Last week Coutinho started, Iniesta didn't, so this week Iniesta started. It's true that on Tuesday we have another match but for me the most important thing was this match.
"On Tuesday, let's see, I know Coutinho cannot play, but we will do something."
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Euro 2020 play-offs, pots & finals draw: teams, dates, times...
- BAYERN MUNICH Pochettino-Bayern links re-intensify in Germany
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane could see James' injury coming
- BRAZIL Tite responds to criticism of Rodrygo's lack of playing time
- LALIGA Gareth Bale 'in that order' flag inspires Spanish football
- REAL MADRID José Mourinho to open Spurs escape hatch for Gareth Bale