DEPORTIVO LA CORUÑA
Depor need Lucas: no goals in over 1,000 minutes
Deportivo la Coruña are staring relegation in the face and need Lucas Perez to start scoring, and shooting more often, with no goals in over 1,000 minutes.
Not even the most pessimistic of Depor fans could have predicted how poorly Lucas Perez' return to the club has gone. They have been bad in the collective with the team in a very delicate situation as they stare relegation in the face and on an individual level, Perez is far from the footballer who left for Arsenal two years ago. Clarence Seedorf is in place now as the club's manager and he needs his main striker more than ever.
Lucas Perez' goal and shooting stats don't lie
The numbers are very clear: In Coruña, he has accumulated 1,007 minutes without scoring in LaLiga. On the 19th of November, he scored his last goal, which momentarily drew Depor level against Malaga in the 23rd minute. Depor have played 12 games since then and Lucas played a full 90 on 10 occasions. He missed the game against Villarreal and was substituted in the Levante game.
Re-debuting on matchday 7 against Getafe, it seemed the old Lucas was back. He scored four in six against Girona, Las Palmas and Malaga but that's when he got stuck. Five Depor players have more attempts on goal. Andone is the one who tries his luck most often (36 shots), followed by Adrián (34), Guilherme (32) and Fede Cartabia (31). Borges is fifth (27).
It is striking that the two central midfielders have shot more than the team's talisman and Cartabia with four less games. Clarence Seedorf has a job to stave off relegation and his first task in doing that might be to get Lucas back firing.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 3 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Tokyo Olympics: Warholm breaks own record of 46-second in 400 m hurdle gold run
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS How many Olympic medals has Simone Biles? What's her position in US historical ranking?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: Belarus must answer to IOC over Tsimanouskaya saga
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis