Sloane Stephens finally ends winless run at Mexican Open
The reigning US Open champion secured her first win since her grand slam success last season against Pauline Parmentier.
Sloane Stephens finally ended her long wait for another win, while Kristina Mladenovic also progressed at the Mexican Open on Tuesday.
Stephens, the 2016 champion in Acapulco, claimed her first victory since winning the US Open last year.
The American top seed eased past Pauline Parmentier 6-4 6-0 in the first round of the WTA International event.
Stephens will next face qualifier Arantxa Rus, who overcame teenager Kayla Day 4-6 6-1 6-0.
Another player who endured a miserable finish to last year, Mladenovic, also cruised through.
The second seed, last year's runner-up, was untroubled by qualifier Amandine Hesse in a 6-2 6-2 victory.
Awaiting Mladenovic in the second round is Beatriz Haddad Maia, who beat Heather Watson 7-5 4-6 6-1.
Another seed to progress was Zhang Shuai after she needed just 54 minutes to crush Jasmine Paolini 6-3 6-1.
There were just two seeds to fall as Alize Cornet and Tatjana Maria exited.
Cornet fell to qualifier Rebecca Peterson 6-2 6-4 and Maria was downed by Stefanie Voegele 6-2 7-5.
Maria Sakkari overcame Lara Arruabarrena 6-3 7-6 (7-1), Renata Zarazua was too good for Kristyna Pliskova 6-3 6-4 and Jil Teichmann battled past Jana Fett 7-5 7-5.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries