Atleti look at Villarreal's Samu Castillejo to replace Carrasco
After Yannick Carrasco and Nico Gaitán left Madrid for China, Diego Simeone has just 17 outfield players. He sees Castillejo as a viable replacement.
Atlético Madrid have focused their recruitment gaze upon Villarreal winger Samu Castillejo.
Carrasco and Gaitán leave Atleti light out wide
Los Rojiblancos have sold two wingers - Yannick Carrasco and Nico Gaitán - in February, leaving the wide areas as a priority for reinforcement in the summer. Castillejo is one of the players heavily mentioned in that conversation.
The Málaga-born Villarreal man is flourishing this season, resulting in interest from various clubs in Spain. Napoli, of Serie A, are also keen on the 23-year-old.
Castillejo has featured on Atlético's agenda for several years, yet his lack of physicality - an important attribute for a player in Diego Simeone's system - put the club off making a move. He now appears to have developed physically to a level that would make him suitable for the top level.
Rodri joins Castillejo on Simeone's agenda
Castillejo - who has scored two goals and given seven assists in 27 matches this campaign - is under contract at Villarreal until 2020. He would command a fee of around €20 million.
He is not the only Villarreal player on Atleti's radar. Central midfielder Rodri - who emerged from Atlético's academy - also features in the club's plans as a natural successor to Gabi.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth