Fiorentina and Cagliari retire number 13 in honour of Astori
The Italy defender died last week of a heart attack and captained both clubs, playing for Cagliari between 2008 and 2014 before joining La Viola.
Fiorentina and Cagliari have both announced they will retire the number 13 jersey of their late captain Davide Astori.
Astori, 31, was found dead in his hotel room on Sunday ahead of Fiorentina's scheduled match at Udinese.
With an official autopsy report yet to be released, the precise cause of the defender's death remains unclear, but Udine's public prosecutor has suggested cardiac arrest was the most likely reason.
Per onorarne la memoria e rendere indelebile il ricordo di Davide Astori, @acffiorentina e @CagliariCalcio hanno deciso di ritirare congiuntamente la maglia con il numero 13. #DA13 pic.twitter.com/mH746vWRsA— CIAO DAVIDE (@CagliariCalcio) 6 de marzo de 2018
Tributes have flowed from across football and beyond for the popular Italy international and Fiorentina and Cagliari confirmed Astori's number would not be worn by any other player in future as a mark of respect.
Astori represented Cagliari between 2008 and 2014 before two season-long loan spells away signalled his eventual departure in 2016, and the Sardinian club will similarly take their number 13 jersey out of circulation.
Astori's funeral will be held on Thursday at Florence's Basilica di Santa Croce.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?