Montella threatens Sampaoli-style Sevilla departure
Vincenzo Montella only arrived in Andalucia in December, but he has already admitted that the Italy job could tempt him back to his home country.
There are few things that could place Sevilla's qualification to the quarter-finals of the Champions League in the shade. Yet it looks like the Andalucían club are searching for them. After a disastrous defeat to Leganés, coach Vincenzo Montella has flirted with the Italian Football Association regarding his plans for the future.
Juventus? No. Italy? Well...
"I feel good in Seville and I've got another year on my contract," Montella told RAI," Would I go to Juventus? No. They have a great coach and Allegri will be there for a while because he's doing a great job.
"Would I coach Italy? It's a dream for any coach to coach their national team, I don't know what would happen if they added to me..."
Montella's flirtatious statements comes after gaining 16 of a possible 36 points since taking over from Eduardo Berizzo at the end of 2017.
Sevilla face repeat of Sampaoli situation
The 43-year-old's situation is similar to that of Jorge Sampaoli one year ago. Both coaches signed two-year contracts at the Sánchez Pizjuán, but with clauses that allowed them to leave after one year if a third party were to pay their release clause. Argentina paid Sampaoli's release clause.
It remains unclear if Italy would do the same for Montella, but his recent declarations provide a strong hint as to what his response would be.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest