Marek Hamsik withdraws from Slovakia squad
Slovakia star Marek Hamsik will miss the King's Cup games in Thailand after undergoing minor surgery to have his tonsils removed.
Marek Hamsik has pulled out of Slovakia's squad for the King's Cup after having his tonsils removed. The Napoli captain had been due to feature in his country's opening game against the United Arab Emirates on Thursday at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok, but will now stay in Italy to recover.
Hamsik undergoes surgery
The 30-year-old missed a handful of training sessions in January with tonsillitis and a decision was made on Wednesday to undergo a small operation to remove his tonsils.
"Marek Hamsik was operated on this morning at the Ruesch Clinic by Professor D'Angelo, who practiced a tonsillectomy," read a statement on Napoli's official website. "The surgery was perfectly successful. Hamsik will return home tomorrow and will not participate with the Slovakian national team."
The King's Cup also features Gabon and defending champions Thailand, with the final taking place on Sunday.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In