Mascherano matches Zanetti's Argentina caps record
Javier Zanetti's record of 142 caps for Argentina has been matched by versatile midfielder Javier Mascherano.
Javier Mascherano has drawn level with Javier Zanetti as the most-capped player for Argentina.
The 33-year-old won his 142nd cap in Tuesday's international friendly against Spain at Atletico Madrid's Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
Mascherano, who joined Chinese Super League side Hebei China Fortune from Barcelona in January, made his official Argentina debut in 2004.
He is now set to break Zanetti's record in the build-up to the World Cup, where Argentina have been drawn against Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria in the group stage.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In