Sporting walking disciplinary tightrope against Atlético
The Portuguese side have Bas Dost, Gelson Martins, Fabio Coentrao, Bruno Fernandes, Marcos Acuña and Rodrigo Battaglia all one yellow away from suspension.
Sporting Lisbon visit the Metropolitano on Thursday for the first leg of the Europa League quarter-final tie between the sides not only looking for a positive result but also at risk of losing half a dozen of their key players ahead of the return leg in the José Alvalade next week.
Jorge Jesús has risk containment to consider across all lines of his side, with the forwards perhaps the most affected. Both Bas Dost and Gelson Martins, two of his most trusted and effective attackers, are a caution away from missing the return leg and between them have accounted for 42 of Sporting’s goals in 2017-18.
Jesús praying for clean disciplinary sheet
Midfielder Bruno Fernandes, who has 13 goals to his name this season, also has to tread carefully on Atlético’s turf while Carlos Acuña, who has added five from the left-hand side, is also at risk of suspension.
Jesús also has issues at the back, with starting full back and former Real Madrid player Fabio Coentrao in the same boat and defensive midfielder Ricardo Battaglia, who forms a partnership in the engine room with William Carvalho, also at risk of missing the return leg.
Diego Simeone, meanwhile, has only Ángel Correa on his list of potential absentees through suspension for the return game in Lisbon.
Recommended in English
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- NFL Mac Jones continues his case as best rookie QB of the season
- NFL Cam Newton’s dreams of being Panthers savior shattered
- SOCCER 2021 Ballon d'Or awards ceremony: times, TV, how to watch and stream