Qatar studying playing in 2019 Copa America in Brazil
The general manager of the Aspire Academy, Iván Bravo, confirmed the news in Bilbao.
Qatar is examining the possibility of playing in the Copa América 2019, which will take place in Brazil, according to Iván Bravo, general manager of the prestigious Aspire Academy, based in the country. Bravo was speaking at the Bilbao International Football Summit, which brings together big names in the world of football. Qatar is one of the countries that may be invited to take part in the tournament, with Japan and China possibilities to participate.
Talks between Conmebol countries, Concacaf members and countries from the Asian federation have been going on for some time. Up to May of last year, an ambitious plan was being discussed which would have seen European sides, such as Portugal and Spain invited, but the creation of UEFA’s Nations League, which will start in September 2018, put an end to the hopes of Brazil and the other Conmebol countries.
All change for Copa America in 2020
The 2019 tournament will probably be the last in this format. As of 2020, Conmebol and Concacaf will organise a joint tournament, which will be played every four years, at the same time as the European Championships. The first edition of this new format could be held in the USA and feature 20 countries, the 10 that make up Conmebol and another 10 from Concacaf.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play