Buffon: Nothing can tarnish Juve and Italy great's career - Lippi
Gianluigi Buffon's reputation remains intact despite his red card against Real Madrid and subsequent outburst, according to Marcello Lippi.
Former Italy and Juventus coach Marcello Lippi believes nothing can tarnish Gianluigi Buffon's career despite the goalkeeper's red card against Real Madrid.
Buffon was sent off late in Juve's Champions League quarter-final exit at the hands of Madrid after angrily confronting referee Michael Oliver over a spot-kick awarded to the LaLiga giants.
The 40-year-old slammed Oliver in an emotional outburst post-match, leading to criticism of the shot-stopper.
Buffon reputation undiminished both as player and person, says Lippi
But Lippi said Buffon's reputation remained intact, while insisting Oliver got the decision wrong.
"There is nothing that can tarnish Gianluigi Buffon's splendid career at all, either as a player or a man," he told Omnisport.
"Nobody could expect such a game.The same goes for Roma [against Barcelona], to be honest. But Juve and Roma were exceptional.
Oliver decision "destroyed a fantastic Juventus performance"
"For Juventus, there was only an incorrect decision by the referee, who is very good, but in my opinion made a mistake in that case, and destroyed a fantastic Juventus performance."
While Juve bowed out after the late drama, Roma reached the semi-finals following an incredible comeback against Barcelona.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth