Iago Aspas smashes 60-year old glass ceiling with Barça goal
The Spain striker's second-half effort in Camp Nou has taken him to 20 for the season, a number not reached by any Riazor striker since 1955-56.
Iago Aspas is enjoying his finest season to date in 2017-18 and seems assured of a place in Julen Lopetegui’s squad for the Russia World Cup, perhaps even having jostled his way to the front of the queue for the hotly disputed number nine shirt.
The Celta striker’s second-half goal against Barcelona in Camp Nou on Tuesday night brought his tally for the season to 20, a figure not reached by any player representing the Riazor side since Mauro hit 24 goals in the 1955-56 campaign, which remains the single-season record at the club.
Aspas chasing Celta history
Aspas has also now beaten his own best return in Primera of 19 goals, set last season, and is now within a single goal of matching the 119 scored by club legends Rogelio Tapia and Hermidita.
After that, Aspas will have some way to go to catch the historical top scorers for Celta, Manuel Copena (161) and Moncho Polo (166).
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth