Fenerbahce-Besiktas abandoned after Gunes struck by object thrown from crowd
Referee Mete Kalkavan opted to bring the cup clash between Fenerbahce and Besiktas to an early end due to crowd trouble.
A cup match between Turkish rivals Fenerbahce and Besiktas was abandoned on Thursday after Senol Gunes was hit by an object thrown from the crowd.
Referee Mete Kalkavan paused the game on multiple occasions due to crowd trouble during Wednesday's semi-final second leg at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium.
Kalkavan was eventually left with little option but to stop the match early in the second half after Gunes was struck.
Besiktas coach Gunes fell to the ground and reportedly required stitches for a head wound following the incident, which happened after 55 minutes of the match.
Fener were on track to reach the final, having drawn 2-2 in the opening match, with former Real Madrid defender Pepe sent off for Besiktas in first half of the second leg with the score at 0-0.
55'- The game is interrupted— Beşiktaş JK English (@BesiktasEnglish) April 19, 2018
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness