Fenerbahce-Besiktas abandoned after Gunes struck by object thrown from crowd
Referee Mete Kalkavan opted to bring the cup clash between Fenerbahce and Besiktas to an early end due to crowd trouble.
A cup match between Turkish rivals Fenerbahce and Besiktas was abandoned on Thursday after Senol Gunes was hit by an object thrown from the crowd.
Referee Mete Kalkavan paused the game on multiple occasions due to crowd trouble during Wednesday's semi-final second leg at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium.
Kalkavan was eventually left with little option but to stop the match early in the second half after Gunes was struck.
Besiktas coach Gunes fell to the ground and reportedly required stitches for a head wound following the incident, which happened after 55 minutes of the match.
Fener were on track to reach the final, having drawn 2-2 in the opening match, with former Real Madrid defender Pepe sent off for Besiktas in first half of the second leg with the score at 0-0.
55'- The game is interrupted— Beşiktaş JK English (@BesiktasEnglish) April 19, 2018
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In