Las Palmas relegated from LaLiga after 4-0 Alaves demolition
After losing 4-0 at home to Alaves on Sunday, Las Palmas have been relegated, paying the price for selling key players.
Las Palmas' long-looming relegation was confirmed following a crushing 4-0 defeat at home to Alaves on Sunday.
Setien and Mesa-less islanders
Despite losing coach Quique Setien to Real Betis and captain Roque Mesa to Swansea City in pre-season, there was an air of optimism around the club at the start of the campaign when they managed to secure the return of Vitolo, on loan from Atletico Madrid.
But the Spain international was injured for most of his six months at the club and had little impact, as Las Palmas struggled.
After slipping into the bottom three in October, they were never to get out of the relegation zone again.
Jemez couldn't stop the drop
Paco Jemez's arrival as coach in December brought some optimism, but the sale of star player Jonathan Viera in February was arguably the death knell.
Jemez even suggested recently that he should have quit as soon as Viera was allowed to depart.
Las Palmas have not won since the playmaker left for Beijing Guoan and they join Malaga in dropping to the second tier for next season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?