Nadal clinches record-extending 11th Monte Carlo title
The Spaniard sealed a record-breaking 11th Monte Carlo title as he geared up for his French Open campaign with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Japan's Kei Nishikori in the final on Sunday.
Rafa Nadal clinched a record-extending 11th Monte Carlo title as he geared up for his French Open campaign with a 6-3 6-2 victory over Japan's Kei Nishikori in the final on Sunday.
36 consecutive sets won on clay
Top seed Nadal, who is also targeting an 11th Roland Garros trophy this year, extended his run of consecutive sets won on clay to 36 after recording the win in an hour and 33 minutes. The Spaniard's record 31st Masters title also ensured he retained the world number one ranking ahead of rival Roger Federer.
Early break not enough to throw Nadal off course
Nishikori, who missed a large part of last season with a wrist injury, grabbed an early break in the Monaco sunshine before his 31-year-old opponent won four games in a row to take control of the match. Nadal took the opening set with a blistering forehand and went on to convert two breakpoint opportunities in the second to lift the title.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?