Payet ignores footballing superstition by touching trophy
Dimitri Payet touched the Europa League trophy before the final against Atlético Madrid, before leaving the pitch injured midway through the first half.
Dimitri Payet hobbled off the pitch in the first half of of the Europa League final against Atlético Madrid, with tears in his eyes and team-mates offering hollow consolation.
Payet pulled up injured
The Marseille talisman had raced back from injury to make the final in Lyon, only for his body to give up on him after 32 minutes.
The Ligue 1 side were losing at the time, after Antoine Griezmann seized on sloppy play to open the scoring.
Credulous observers have pointed to Payet touching the Europa League trophy as the two sides emerged from the tunnel before the start of the match.
Footballing superstition dictates that touching the trophy before a final brings bad luck; you can only touch it once the final whistle has confirmed that said trophy will be taking residence in your club's trophy cabinet.
Payet found out the hard way...
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?