Santi Cazorla on the verge of rejoining Villarreal for 2018-19
The former Spain international, who is out of contract at Arsenal, will train with Javi Calleja's side in pre-season ahead of a potential one-year deal.
Santi Cazorla will train with his old club Villarreal during pre-season it has been confirmed, with the offer of a one-year contract at the Cerámica on the table if the former Spain midfielder suffers no ill-effects from his lengthy injury lay-off.
Cazorla has been on the sidelines for two years, undergoing no fewer than 11 operations on an Achilles tendon injury but after 18 months of rehabilitation the 33-year-old is fit again and looking for a club for next season after Arsenal elected not to renew his contract, which expires this summer.
Senna confirms Cazorla return for pre-season
The announcement was made on Spanish broadcaster Movistar after Villarreal’s game against Real Madrid on Saturday, with club ambassador Marcos Senna telling reporter Mónica Marchante of the arrangement.
Villarreal president Fernando Roig has been in discussions with Cazorla for some weeks in a bid to persuade him to return to the club where he made his name during two spells from 2003-06 and 2007-11.
Cazorla is now expected to join up with Javi Calleja’s squad for the club’s pre-season programme and is all goes well he could return to LaLiga with the Yellow Submarine for the 2018-19 season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness