Istanbul's Atatürk stadium return for Champions League 2020
The Atatürk Olympic Stadium has been chosen as the final venue for Uefa's showpiece tournament, a location remembered for an historic night in 2005.
Istanbul's Ataturk Olympic Stadium will host the 2020 Champions League final, UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin announced after an executive committee meeting on Thursday.
Famous night in Istanbul
The 76,000-capacity stadium hosted the thrilling 2005 showpiece where Liverpool came back from 3-0 down at halftime to draw 3-3 with AC Milan and win a penalty shoot-out. The venue beat competition from Lisbon's Estadio da Luz, where Real Madrid defeated Atletico Madrid 4-1 after extra-time in the 2014 final.
Ceferin also announced that the Gdansk Arena in Poland will host the 2020 Europa League final, while the Austria Arena was chosen as the venue for the 2020 Women's Champions League final.
The 43,000-capacity Gdansk Arena was chosen ahead of FC Porto's Estadio do Dragao, although the latter was named as the venue for the 2020 UEFA Super Cup final, played between the winners of the Champions League and the Europa League.
Real Madrid meet Liverpool in Saturday's Champions League final in Kiev, while Olympique Lyonnais were in action against VfL Wolfsburg later on Thursday in the women's showpiece in the same city.
Atletico Madrid's Wanda Metropolitano stadium hosts the 2019 men's final, with the Groupama Arena in Budapest staging the women's final.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth