Cristiano Ronaldo casts doubt on future at Real Madrid
The Portuguese star spoke after Real Madrid had beaten Liverpool 3-1 in the Champions League final in Kiev.
Straight after winning his fifth Champions League title, with Real Madrid beating Liverpool 3-1 in the final in Kiev, Cristiano Ronaldo spoke to beIN Sport at the pitchside and cast doubt on his future at the club.
The final: "The main thing was to win, to go down in history".
Does this team have continue with you leading it? "Now it's time to enjoy this. In the next few days I'll give the fans, who have been by my side, an answer. It's been great being at Real Madrid".
That sounds like goodbye: "I'll speak in the next few days. Now it's time to enjoy the moment. The future of any player isn't important. We've made history".
Interviewed on TV afterwards and asked about his previous comments he refused to say anything more, stating simply that the future of the players wasn't important, the only important thing was that Real Madrid had won the Champions League.
Later, in the mixed zone Ronaldo appeared to try to pull back yet further from his comments straight after the match, saying "I'm not saying I'm going" and that "in the coming days we'll see". He argued that the original comment, which he admitted he "shouldn't have said" was taken out of context. "I didn't know it'd be so strong. I'd prefer not to talk and to enjoy this lovely moment to the maxium."
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski hoping to break NFL record
- NFL Who plays Monday Night football tonight, Week 13? Games, times, TV
- SOCCER Kylian Mbappé disappointed Real Madrid move falls through
- SOCCER Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life'
- REAL MADRID Benzema out for Inter clash but has one eye on Madrid derby