Cristiano Ronaldo casts doubt on future at Real Madrid
The Portuguese star spoke after Real Madrid had beaten Liverpool 3-1 in the Champions League final in Kiev.
Straight after winning his fifth Champions League title, with Real Madrid beating Liverpool 3-1 in the final in Kiev, Cristiano Ronaldo spoke to beIN Sport at the pitchside and cast doubt on his future at the club.
The final: "The main thing was to win, to go down in history".
Does this team have continue with you leading it? "Now it's time to enjoy this. In the next few days I'll give the fans, who have been by my side, an answer. It's been great being at Real Madrid".
That sounds like goodbye: "I'll speak in the next few days. Now it's time to enjoy the moment. The future of any player isn't important. We've made history".
Interviewed on TV afterwards and asked about his previous comments he refused to say anything more, stating simply that the future of the players wasn't important, the only important thing was that Real Madrid had won the Champions League.
Later, in the mixed zone Ronaldo appeared to try to pull back yet further from his comments straight after the match, saying "I'm not saying I'm going" and that "in the coming days we'll see". He argued that the original comment, which he admitted he "shouldn't have said" was taken out of context. "I didn't know it'd be so strong. I'd prefer not to talk and to enjoy this lovely moment to the maxium."
Recommended in English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: The reasons behind Gareth Bale's rupture with the club and the fans
- SOCCER Xabi Alonso: "Winning Euro 2008 with Spain shut Carragher up..."
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp cheers world class Mané ahead of Southampton reunion
- NBA | PELICANS Pelicans All-Star Zion Williamson cleared for full team activities
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass