Atlético plan to increase Oblak's release clause to €200m
Diego Simeone has often spoken of the keeper's importance and the club are to offer the 25-year-old a massive wage increase.
Atlético Madrid have set the wheels in motion to ensure that Jan Oblak remains at the club amid interest from a host of European teams in the Slovenia international goalkeeper.
Oblak won the Zamora trophy as LaLiga’s most effective stopper for a third season running in 2017-18 and has conceded just 61 times in the past three league campaigns, making him one of the most sought-after number ones in world football.
PSG have long been credited with an interest in the 25-year-old and several Premier League clubs, with Liverpool the latest to be mentioned, have been credited with an interest in Oblak, whose current contract runs to 2021 and includes a minimum release clause of 100 million euros.
Atlético eager to see off suitors for Oblak
In today’s market that is no obstacle to a bid from the likes of the Ligue 1 giants, who would think nothing of smashing the world record fee for a keeper, still held by Gianluigi Buffon after his 51-million-euro move from Parma to Juventus in 2001.
For that reason, Atlético are eager to offer Oblak a new contract with a colossal salary increase in line with the club’s highest paid stars and an increase in his release clause to 200 million euros.
That is the only immediate stumbling block, with Oblak keen to keep his future options slightly more open than a fee of that magnitude will allow, but both parties are not too far from reaching an agreement.
“He wants to stay with us and we want him to stay,” said Atlético CEO Miguel Ángel Gil a few days ago on Spanish radio. “We are going to try and make his release clause higher.”
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds