Karius was concussed in Champions League final, hospital confirms
Medical experts believe Loris Karius' performance against Real Madrid may have been affected by a head knock.
Loris Karius was suffering from concussion when he committed the errors that gravely cost Liverpool in the Champions League final, experts have confirmed.
Medical professionals from the Massachusetts General Hospital examined goalkeeper Karius during his holiday in the United States and determined "visual spatial dysfunction" could have affected his much-criticised performance in Kiev.
Ramos collided with Karius
Though the cause of the concussion was not speculated upon, Karius had collided with Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos before gifting goals to Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale in the 3-1 loss.
Doctor Ross Zafonte and physical therapist Lenore Herget confirmed in a joint statement their belief the 24-year-old was feeling the effects of the head knock.
"After carefully reviewing game film and integrating a detailed history – including his reported present and immediate post-contact subjective symptoms – physical examination and objective metrics, we have concluded that Mr. Karius sustained a concussion during the match May 26, 2018," the statement read.
"At the time of our evaluation, Mr. Karius's principal residual symptoms and objective signs suggested that visual spatial dysfunction existed and likely occurred immediately following the event.
"Additional symptomatic and objectively noted areas of dysfunction also persisted. It could be possible that such deficits would affect performance."
The statement noted Karius, who after the match apologised to Liverpool supporters, had reported "significant and steady improvement" since the concussion and is expected to make a full recovery.
Some Liverpool fans have now started demanding the match be replayed.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 24 July
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How much money can you get from stimulus checks and the Child Tax Credit?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 24 July
- Olympic Games Since when is skate an olympic sport and why?
- OLYMPIC GAMES What is the USA basketball roster for the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USWNT bounce back in crushing 6-1 New Zealand win