Agüero says Guardiola relationship is "really good" as he plans to stay at Manchester City
Pep Guardiola has not always seemed convinced of Sergio Agüero's talents but the Manchester City striker says he is staying put.
Sergio Agüero has reaffirmed his intention to stay at Manchester City, while declaring his relationship with manager Pep Guardiola to be "really good". Agüero hit 21 Premier League goals, the most by a City player during the 2017-18 campaign, as Guardiola's men romped to the title by a huge 19-point margin from rivals Manchester United.
Agüero not considering Madrid return
But Agüero has endured spells out of the side during Guardiola's two years in charge, with the Catalan appearing to prefer Brazil international Gabriel Jesus as the figurehead of his attack. The Argentina striker is preparing for the World Cup but shrugged off speculation he could leave City for Real Madrid or his former club Atlético de Madrid during the transfer window.
"It is really good, we were very clear when we saw each other," Agüero said of his relationship with Guardiola during an interview on El Chiringuito. "I try to do my job and he does his job. Obviously, he is always fine with me. I am happy how the season ended. The club is happy, and I am happy in the club. I hope to stay until the end of my contract [in 2020]. I think every year [there are rumours] … maybe, a few more rumours this year with Atlético. With Madrid as well, since I left Atlético, it sounds like Madrid, Madrid, Madrid. Well, I'm a City player. But it is always good that other teams are interested. What I have to do right now is to be focused on the World Cup, and after that, focused on City."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August