Dani Carvajal back in with Spain squad ahead of Portugal opener
The Real Madrid full-back trained alongside the rest of his international teammates on Monday, which is the news Julen Lopetegui was hoping for as the World Cup looms.
Great news for Julen Lopetegui as he welcomed back Dani Carvajal to full training with the Spanish national team squad on Monday, just four days before he sends his team out to face Portugal in the Group B opener.
Real Madrid's Carvajal back in time
The full-back is seen as a key member of the squad and one who would be expected to play in every game, fitness permitting. His injury during the Champions League final made him a doubt for Fifa's showpiece tournament but after treatment and work with physios. After missing the European Championships in 2016, the Real Madrid player was desperate not to be watching from the stands or TV this time around, although it is not yet clear whether he will be ready to start against Cristiano Ronaldo and co on Friday evening.
The player's recovery is not only important for the first team. It also has a knock-on effect for those players that were on standby for the Spanish squad. Assuming no regression, Julen Lopetegui will not now need to call up Jesús Vallejo (Real Madrid) or Rodri (Villarreal). If any serious problems do occur impacting on the fitness of Carvajal, or any other player, the manager has until 24 hours before kick-off in their first game to call in a substitute member of the squad.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL How and where to watch Patriots vs. Jets
- NFL How and where to watch Bears vs. Bucs
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Liverpool: times, TV and how to watch online
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid: why is this game called El Clásico?
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves live online, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series