Iniesta: Spain planning tribute match against Brazil in Albacete
The RFEF are understood to be in talks with the Brazilian Football Confederation over an autumn friendly in Andrés Iniesta's home town.
The Estadio Insular in Las Palmas and Valencia's Mestalla are to host Spain's first two home matches in the new Uefa Nations League this autumn. Luis Rubiales, the president of the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), has informed the venues' regional governing bodies of the decision, which is still subject to approval by the RFEF's management board.
Spain face Croatia and England in September and October
It has not yet been decided which ground will get which of the two games, against Croatia on 11 September and England on 15 October. Riazor in A Coruña and the Benito Villamarín in Seville were also in the frame, but were finally ruled out. However, they are both well placed to host later Nations League clashes.
Iniesta tribute against Brazil in the offing
The international calendar also allows Spain to play friendlies on 12 October and 18 November - days on which they are not involved in the Nations League fixtures scheduled - and the Federation is believed to be planning to use one of these dates (probably the former) to organise a tribute match for La Roja legend Andrés Iniesta in his home town of Albacete.
The 34-year-old, who scored Spain's World Cup-winning goal in 2010, is currently at Russia 2018 in what is almost certainly his last finals appearance and, after 22 years at Barcelona, is leaving LaLiga this summer for Japanese side Vissel Kobe.
It is understood that Brazil have been identified as the RFEF's opposition of choice, with talks between the RFEF and the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) at an advanced stage.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms