Maradona insists he's "fine" after health scare in Argentina win
Amid concerns over his health after he was seen requiring medical attention at Argentina's World Cup clash with Nigeria, Diego Maradona said he was "fine".
Argentina great Diego Maradona insisted he was "fine" after needing medical treatment in the wake of his nation's win over Nigeria.
Maradona, who threatened to steal the show with his antics in St Petersburg on Tuesday, was pictured being treated by paramedics after Argentina moved into the last 16 thanks to a dramatic 2-1 victory.
Amid concerns over his health, the 1986 World Cup winner denied being taken to hospital, and revealed he was told to leave at half time.
Maradona denies being admitted to hospital after scare
Maradona, 57, wrote on Facebook that he was fine after suffering from a sore neck.
"I want to tell everyone that I am fine, that I am not, nor was I, hospitalised," he wrote. "At half time of the game against Nigeria, my neck hurt a lot and I suffered a decompensation.
"I was checked by a doctor and he recommended that I leave before the second half, but I wanted to stay because we were playing for everything. How could I leave?
"I send a kiss to everyone. Thanks for the support."
Irrepressible presence in St Petersburg stands
Maradona was seen dancing, celebrating and sleeping before offering middle-finger salutes to fans after Marcos Rojo's 86th-minute winner.
Argentina will face France in Kazan in the last 16 on Saturday.
Recommended in English
- CRYPTOCURRENCY What are the cryptocurrencies that have increased the most in value this year?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis: "The whole world wants to see us lose"
- NBA 76ers star Embiid suggests Philadelphia NBA MVP bias
- NBA Heat's Kyle Lowry handed ovation on emotional Toronto return
- NBA Warriors head coach Steve Kerr speaks against gun violence after Sacramento Shooting
- NBA Nets coach Steve Nash rules Simmons out of NBA Play-In