Suker: A lot of Argentinians sent me thank you messages
Argentinians were thankful after Croatia's World Cup win, according to Davor Suker.
Croatian Football Federation (HNS) president Davor Suker revealed he received "a lot" of messages from thankful Argentinians on Tuesday.
Croatia result against Iceland helps Argentina reach last 16
Zlatko Dalic's men recorded a 2-1 win over Iceland to finish top of Group D with a perfect nine points.
But that victory also helped Argentina, who snuck into the last 16 courtesy of a 2-1 success against Nigeria.
Suker - the Croatia great who scored 45 times in 69 games for the national team - said he received plenty of thank you messages from Argentinians.
"I received messages from all over, especially from Argentina"
"Only Uruguay and us have nine points. We showed we don't make calculations and the image of Croatia only grew," he said. "I received messages from all over, especially from Argentina.
"From [Diego] Maradona? I don't want to name, but a lot of Argentinians contacted me, thanked me, said they believed in us."
Croatia to take on Denmark in World Cup last 16
Topping Group D helped Croatia avoid a last-16 meeting with France, with Dalic's men to instead face Denmark.
After several players were rested for the Iceland clash, Suker said Croatia would be ready for Sunday's encounter.
"We are physically ready. It will be very hard against Denmark," he said. "The midfield will decide it and we have to play as aggressively as against Argentina."
Te recomendamos en English
- TENNIS Emma Raducanu "hungry" to improve after US Open win
- US NEWS What did Simone Biles say in her testimony to the FBI regarding Larry Nassar allegations?
- Jacksonville Jaguars "No chance" - Jaguars coach Urban Meyer rules out return to college football with USC
- SOCCER FIFA survey shows majority of fans back more frequent World Cups
- NBA Lisa Byington makes history as Milwaukee Bucks announcer
- MLB MLB round-up: Bichette matches career high and Ray fans 13 for Jays, Giants streak snapped