Sergio Ramos given a few extra days' holiday
Real Madrid's captain will join up with the squad on Tuesday. The rest of Madrid's Spanish internationals are already back and under Lopetegui's orders.
A few timid chants of “Ramos, Ramos...!” could be heard when Real Madrid arrived at the EAST Hotel in Miami, but the captain was nowhere to be seen. Sergio Ramos is due to join up with the squad on Tuesday. Keylor Navas and Dani Carvajal, who like Ramos have been holidaying in the United States, were back on board on Saturday. The official line is that Ramos, who uploaded a photograph of himself fishing earlier today, has been granted an extra two days rest - even though all of Madrid's international players who were at the World Cup have now started the pre-season… The first Spain internationals to report for duty in Valdebebas last week were Nacho, Asensio and Lucas Vázquez, and Isco followed suit on Friday.
Last summer, Ramos was in a similar position. Spain had played Macedonia on 11 June with Ramos, Nacho, Isco and Morata all on international duty. Afterwards, the latter three players took a month's holiday then travelled with the Madrid squad to Los Angeles for the pre-season on 11 July. But Ramos didn't show up until a few days later. The skipper appeared on the 16th suffering a problem with his hearing which was giving him vertigo and trained apart from the rest until 27 July, missing the first two games of the tour.
Recommended in English
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"
- NFL PFWA selects three Chiefs for All-Rookie Team Honors
- Soccer Real Madrid's Rodrygo wants World Cup glory with Brazil
- AFCON Mané taken to hospital after head injury blow at AFCON
- NFL Lakers 106 vs. 96 Nets summary: stats, scores, and highlights | NBA
- MLB Big Papi only player elected to Hall of Fame