Giroud hopes Chelsea will make a move for Nabil Fekir
Olivier Giroud and Eden Hazard have both talked up the idea of joining Chelsea to sought-after Olympique Lyonnais forward Nabil Fekir.
Olivier Giroud is keen for France team-mate Nabil Fekir to join him at Chelsea and has discussed the prospect with the Olympique Lyon star. Fekir was widely tipped to join Liverpool before Les Bleus' triumphant World Cup campaign but the deal collapsed. Giroud picked over that situation with the 25-year-old forward while in Russia and flagged up Chelsea as a possible alternative destination.
Giroud and Hazard want Fekir at the Bridge
"I spoke about his failed Liverpool move when we were with the French national team," Giroud told reporters after the 0-0 International Champions Cup draw between Chelsea and Lyon at Stamford Bridge, where the hosts prevailed 5-4 on penalties. "After, it was about Chelsea and even Eden [Hazard] spoke about that with him. We would have him here with pleasure for sure, he is a really good player of course. Now, I don't know if [a move for Fekir] is still in the news because the transfer market is closing on Thursday."
Lyon resigned to losing Fekir
Speaking after the match in London, Lyon head coach Bruno Genesio conceded he was braced for further Fekir approaches. "He wanted to leave at the end of last season, but came back to training yesterday and was happy," he told a news conference. "Who knows? There may be opportunities that come up before the end of the window. For now, he is a Lyon player."
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY What should I do if I lose my Social Security card?
- UNITED STATES Martin Luther King, Jr Day: is it national holiday? Why is it celebrated today? Origin & meaning
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- NFL Buccaneers injuries: Wirfs out with sprained ankle
- NFL The Cowboys lose to the 49ers on a bizarre final play