Atlético step up plans to boost Oblak's buy-out to €250M
According to La SER, Atlético will offer to double the goalkeeper's wages and extend his contract until June 2023.
In the wake of recent movements in the transfer market with goalkeepers fetching exorbitant prices, Atlético Madrid are moving fast to revise Jan Oblak's contract. The Slovenian is one of the best goalkeepers in the world - if not, the best but his buy-out is just 100 million euros; comparing that to the 80 million which Chelsea have paid to whisk Kepa away from Athletic Club, Atleti think it would be wise to raise Oblak's buy-out to deter other clubs from stealing him in similar fashion.
Improved contract for Oblak
Chelsea did study meeting Oblak's buy-out before settling on Athletic's Kepa, but were met with a frosty response from Atlético and from the player. According to La SER Deportivos, Atleti have stepped up their plan to review and improve the keeper's contract and will offer him a new deal comprising: an extension to June 2023, double his current salary in exchange for resetting his buy-out to a more realistic figure in line with his market value - 250 million euros.
Jan Oblak joined the Rojiblancos four years ago on a 16 million euro-deal from Benfica. During the last four seasons, he has ended as the keeper with the best figures in LaLiga for three years running. In 2015/16, he equalled the Spanish league record for goals conceded - letting in just 18 in 38 games.
"Best keeper on the planet" - Saúl
Speaking to AS earlier this week, Saúl Ñíguez spoke about how important Oblak is for the team and what it would mean to lose him: "For me, that would be the worst possible thing that could happen to us. We have the best goalkeeper in the world. He's won the Zamora trophy for the last three seasons, every day he just keeps getting better and continues o surprise me. He's young and he has many years left in the game but best of all is that he continues to improve all the time!".
Te recomendamos en English
- US | CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit October 2021 payment: what to do if I haven't received it?
- US NEWS | STIMULUS What is Fed tapering and how could it affect new stimulus check?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands
- LIGUE 1 Mbappé nets controversial late PSG winner against Angers
- SOCCER Transfer stories: Madrid target Lewandowski and Pogba as Barcelona eye Sterling
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Salah on verge of more Premier League history