Modric, Cristiano and Salah lead Uefa player of year nominees
The three Champions League finalists will be in the mix for the award, which will be presented during the draw for 2018-19 on August 30.
Luka Modric, Cristiano Ronaldo and Mo Salah are the three nominees for the Uefa player of the year award, the European governing body announced on Monday.
The shortlist was chosen by votes cast by the 80 coaches who took part in European competition last season and 55 sports journalists, with the winner to be announced at the Champions League 2018-19 draw in Nyon.
Ronaldo, who has won the award on three occasions (2014, 2016 and 2017) and Modric have been selected after winning a third Champions League title in three years while Salah, who was on the losing side in Kiev, makes the shortlist after helping Liverpool to a first final since 2007.
The remainder of the players making up the top 10 in the voting were: Antoine Griezmann, Leo Messi, Kylian Mbappé, Kevin De Bruyne, Raphaël Varane, Eden Hazard and Sergio Ramos.
Harder, Henry and Hegerberg up for women's player of the year
Uefa also revealed the nominees for team of the year, with Alisson Becker, Gianluigi Buffon and Keylor Navas between the sticks. Marcelo, Sergio Ramos and Raphaël Varane will go head-to-head for best defender in a Madrid clean sweep while the best midfielder will be chosen from Kevin De Bruyne, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric, The best forward hopefuls are Messi, Ronaldo and Salah.
Diego Godín, Antoine Griezmann and Dimitri Payet are the candidates for the Europa League player of the season with Pernille Harder, Ada Hegerberg and Amandine Henry vying for Uefa women’s player of the year.
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS 2021 Emmy Awards 2021: full list of winners by category
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers go 2-0 but Tom Brady is still not satisfied
- NFL Who plays Monday Night Football tonight week 2? | TV and times
- MLS FC Dallas confirms the departure of manager Luchi Gonzalez
- LIGUE 1 PSG's Neymar nabs another penalty in late Lyon turnaround