Cholo, Lucas and Filipe
Second time around
Filipe Luis made a decision to leave Atlético and followed through with it once before, in 2014. Simeone's side had just been crowned league champions but the Brazilian left-back decided that that chapter of his career had concluded. After a year of bench-warming for Chelsea he decided to return to Los Rojiblancos, with Simeone more than keen to buy him back. Four years on and Filipe has reached a similar conclusion, although this time a move away has hit a snag: Atlético won't let him leave for PSG for next to nothng. Either the Ligue 1 club shells out thirty million euros or Filipe is going nowhere.
The call of his friend and fellow Brazilian Neymar has turned his head. Another key factor in his decision is the competition in his position with Lucas Hernández, a World Cup-winning left-back. Last season Lucas was already biting at his heels, even before the injury he sustained, and this year the way the season is going to unfold looks clear. After starting on the bench in the Spanish Super Cup and with PSG's offer tabled, Filipe decided enough was enough and he's well within his rights to seek first-team football elsewhere.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Robert Lewandowski's priority is Real Madrid
- QATAR 2022 What cities and stadiums will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
- PREMIER LEAGUE United's Pogba: 'We deserved to lose and need to find the problem'
- BARCELONA Dani Alves opens door for sensational Barcelona return
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS