Fifa Fan Award: 1,500 km journey on his own to support his team
Chilean Sebastián Carrera is on the shortlist for the Fifa Fan Award, for travelling solo to support Deportes de Puerto Montt.
Fifa have released the nominees for the Fifa Fan Award (alongside the nominees for The Best), with the Peruvian fans at the World Cup and the decent behaviour of the Japan and Senegal fans tidying up the stadium after their match in Russia being joined on the short list by Sebastian Carrera, a Chilean who travelled 1,500 km on his own to be the only away supporter of Deportes de Puerto Montt in the Coquimbo’s Francisco Sánchez Rumoroso Stadium.
Two days on a bus to support Deportes de Puerto Montt
Carrera spent two days on a bus to support his team, travelling the 1,491 kilometres by road between the cities of Puerto Montt and Coquimbo. Upon his arrival he discovered he was the only away fan, but that didn’t stop him cheering on his heroes non-stop for the entire match. He was well rewarded too, with Deportes Puerto Montt running out 2-1 winners.
“That win’s for you… you gave everything for your side”, said Deportes Puerto Montt player Juan Pablo Abarzúa, while fellow Chilean Arturo Vidal, now plying his trade with Barcelona, said “that’s a real fan!”
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth