Gelson Martins demands €3.2M from Sporting Lisbon
The Portuguese winger is demanding part of his salary for the early termination of his contract. Two other players are also taking legal action.
The tense past year at Sporting Lisbon (known as Sporting Clube de Portugal in its home country), including an attack on the players by hooded individuals who were supposedly supporters, ended up with various players leaving and elections which saw Federico Varandas take over from the controversial Bruno de Carvalho.
Gelson Martins wants cash
Among the players who decided to put an end to their time at the Portuguese club was Gelson Martins, who moved to Atlético Madrid. However he’s not entirely finished his business with Sporting, as he’s launching a bid to claim 3.2 million euros from the club for early termination of contract, according to newspaper Record.
Gelson isn’t the only player who’s demanding compensation for having their contracts supposedly effectively terminated. Daniel Podence, now at Olympiakos wants 800,000 euros and Rafael Leao, at Lille, would like 540,000 euros - in his case he’s demanding part of the money for the breach of contract and part for moral damages.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August