Worcester forward Du Preez faces a month in hospital after throat surgery
The South African-born flanker suffered a fractured Adam’s apple and damage to his voice box in Worcester’s season opener against Wasps.
Worcester Warriors flanker Cornell du Preez has revealed he is unable to talk and must remain in hospital for the next four weeks after suffering a serious injury on the team’s season opener against Wasps.
The South Africa-born Scotland international sustained a fractured Adam’s apple and damage to his voice box into his first game for the Warriors earlier this month.
The incident occurred less than five minutes into du Preez’s debut, as a result of a collision with the Wasps captian, Joe Launchbury.
The forward was rushed to the hospital where it was confirmed he injured his cricoid (cartilage of the larynx). The flanker underwent surgery a couple of days later.
Du Preez joined Worcester from PRO 14’s Edinburgh in the summer.
On a post on his Instagram account, Du Preez, who has been capped six times by the Scotland national rugby union team, detailed the injury he sustained.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
On the 1st of September i fractured my cricoid(adams apple). I also damaged my voicebox so i wont be able to speak at all for the next 4 or so weeks. I will be in hospital until then. We really want to thank @worcswarriors , friends and family from all over the world for the unbelievable support that have been received. Its been overwhelming. I will get back to replying to messages over the next few days. Thanks
'On the 1st of September I fractured my cricoid (Adam's apple). I also damaged my voicebox so I won't be able to speak at all for the next 4 or so weeks. I will be in hospital until then.'
Talking to the club’s website, Warriors director of rugby Alan Solomons said: 'Cornell is making good progress and is receiving the best treatment in hospital.
'Everyone at the club sends him their best wishes and we will continue to support him at this difficult time. We wish him a speedy recovery.'
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times