Barça and Madrid lose on same day for first time since 2015
The Liga heavyweights lost on the same day against Leganés and Sevilla respectively, while Atlético rose to third ahead of the Madrid derby on Saturday.
Real Madrid failed to take advantage of Barcelona suffering a shock defeat at Leganés as both clubs lost LaLiga matches on the same day for the first time since January 2015.
LaLiga champions and leaders Barca went down 2-1 at Butarque with Madrid loanee Óscar Rodríguez scoring the winner for Leganés, taking advantage of a Gerard Piqué error on Wednesday.
Madrid were therefore handed the chance to move top of the table but they instead suffered a first league loss under Julen Lopetegui in stunning style in Seville.
André Silva struck twice and Wissam Ben Yedder was also on target in the first half, with Pablo Machín's Sevilla in rampant form at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan midweek.
After six rounds of games, Barça and Madrid are level at the top of the league with Ernesto Valverde's men above their rivals on goal difference.
Defeats for Barca and Madrid was good news for Atlético Madrid, who sit two points behind in third having bounced back from their slow start to 2018-19.
Recommended in English
- NFL What is Dak Prescott's net worth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Will Social Security beneficiaries get a fourth stimulus check?
- NFL Patriots vs. Bills live online: Bills extend lead in 4th quarter | NFL Playoffs
- NFL The Steelers activate JuJu ahead of Wild Card date with Chiefs
- NFL Could Brian Flores be the Texans next head coach?
- NBA Lakers' Anthony Davis could be back by month end