Iñigo Martinez: injured for Spain, called up by Euskadi
Luis Enrique was quizzed about the absence of the Athletic Club defender who was officially injured and replaced by Marc Bartra in the Spain squad.
According to the medical communique issued by his club (Athletic) following the LaLiga game against FC Barcelona, Iñigo Martínez suffered a “vastus cruraeus muscle injury” after a collision during the game which affected his right leg.
Luis Enrique initially presented his squad for the Wales and England games on October 4th and knowing the injury situation relating the Athletic player, substituted him for Real Betis defender Marc Bartra. He was surprised to learn the following day (October 5th) that Martínez played the full 90 minutes for Athletic in the Basque derby against Real Sociedad.
“We were aware of his condition”, maintained the Spanish coach speaking in Cardiff ahead of the Wales friendly. “It was a local derby, a special game and he and the club decided to take a risk. However that risk is one that I'm not prepared to take. It's a strange situation, but ultimately the player knows his fitness level and is the one who decides which I feel is the right thing".
After playing against Real Sociedad, Martínez has also been called up by the Basque national team (Euskadi) for their friendly against Venezuela this Friday in Vitoria.
Recommended in English
- NFL The Rams change ticket policy to restrict 49ers fans ahead of NFC Championship game
- NFL How did the Los Angeles Rams get their name? Origin and meaning
- NBA NBA round-up: Suns equal best-ever start, Garland matches LeBron in Cavs win
- NBA Lakers at Nets: times, TV and how to watch online, NBA 2021-22
- NBA NBA: Nets vs Lakers – injury news
- NBA Juancho recalls tough times at Boston: "There was no room for me"