Benzema: "I know I must score more goals"
As well as backing the under-fire Julen Lopetegui, Karim Benzema acknowledged he must find the net more frequently for Real Madrid.
Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema said he knows he must score more goals after helping his team past Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday.
Ease the pressure
Benzema opened the scoring as Madrid recorded a 2-1 win in the Champions League to slightly ease the pressure on under-fire coach Julen Lopetegui. The Frenchman has netted six times in 13 games this season, but Madrid's attack has been criticised. Benzema said he was aware he needed to score more goals, having struck just a total of 31 across the past two seasons.
"Tired? No. I know I have to score more goals," he told AS. "I have it in my head and it gives me a lot of motivation to do it."
Marcelo was also on the scoresheet for Madrid, who moved onto six points and are top of Group G.
Benzema backs Lopetegui
Benzema also backed Lopetegui, whose team ended a five-match winless run ahead of Sunday's El Clasico.
"We have a lot of confidence in the coach. We are with him. It is not always the coach's fault, it is also the players' fault," he said.
"He puts the players [on] and we have to do more in the field. He's a good coach.
"Like I said, he knows we believe in him, we're going to continue working on things to win."
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops