Dortmund 4-0 Atlético: Reus hails "incredible, sensational" result
Borussia Dortmund captain Marco Reus revelled in Wednesday's 4-0 rout of Atlético Madrid in the Champions League.
Marco Reus labelled Borussia Dortmund "incredible" and "sensational" after the red-hot German side humbled Atlético Madrid 4-0 in a remarkable Champions League result.
Dortmund preserved their unbeaten record in all competitions this season as they condemned Diego Simeone to his heaviest defeat as Atlético head coach on Wednesday.
After Axel Witsel opened the scoring in the 38th minute, Bundesliga leaders Dortmund piled on three goals in the second half via Raphael Guerreiro's brace and Jadon Sancho.
"You couldn't have imagined that"
Dortmund have now won six successive games, scoring 26 goals and conceding just five, and captain Reus revelled in the club's latest performance.
"You couldn't have imagined that," Reus said via UEFA.com. "You have to say: a great compliment to the group, because it is not commonplace that you score four goals against Atlético.
"Incredible, sensational. We suffered a lot, especially in the second half. We hardly had any possession there and you need possession against that Atlético side. We only managed that again after minute 60 or 65, then you could see that we can also play football.
"It’s not only the result, but how we played was very convincing. When we had the ball, Atlético defended very deep, especially before the break."
Dortmund are three from three in Champions League Group A, three points clear of Atlético ahead of the reverse fixture on November 6.
Favre: "I respect Atlético a lot...they remain a very, very good side"
Head coach Lucien Favre added: "[Four-nil] is a lot. We had lots of chances. At the beginning, we had lots of problems, then we did better. Taking the lead gave our team more confidence.
"The first 15, 20 minutes of the second half were very, very difficult for us, they dominated. It was very dangerous. They hit the woodwork twice. Then we played better again, the second goal was decisive. I respect Atlético a lot, their coach, who is one of the best in the world probably. They remain a very, very good side."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?