Forlán and Agüero did what Costa and Griezmann couldn't
The pair were formidable in attack and they beat Barcelona three times in a row at home in the league, which is something this Atlético Madrid have not even done once.
Something that seems impossible for Atlético since Diego Simeone took charge is Atletico Madrid beating Barcelona at home. They have never taken three points off Barcelona at home under the Argentine but there was a time when the Vicente Calderón was a trap with Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan lying in wait whenever they arrived.
In 2007-08, Atlético beat Barcelona 4-2 with Aguirre and Rijkaard on the bench. It was gameweek 26 and March 1st. Aguero, Maxi, Forlan and Aguero again scored the goals for Atlético with only Ronaldinho and Eto'o scoring for Barcelona.
The season after that, Atlético won 4-3 with a couple of braces from the South American duo again - Aguero and Forlan. That was after Barcelona went 0-2 and 2-3 up. In the 79th and 89th minute, the pair scored and turned the game on it's head.
And then, a year later, Barcelona returned to Madrid where they lost 2-1 with Forlan, again, and Simao scoring the goals. Aguirre and Rijkaard had left their posts with Quique Sanches Flores and Pep Guardiola leading the teams on that occasion.
That was one of Pep's best sides with Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi in it while the last Atlético Madrid side to beat them at home was made up of: De Gea; Ujfalusi, Perea, Domínguez, Antonio López; Reyes, Assunçao, Tiago, Simao; Forlán and Agüero.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms