Madrid's poor start to the league season their worst in 17 years
Los Blancos have 20 points from 13 games, their worst tally since the 2001-2002 season, when they had 19 points and ended the campaign third.
Real Madrid's troubled, stop-start season has seen them record their worst points total in 17 years, and, despite topping their group with a game to spare in the Champions League, their league form has left a lot to be desired.
Los Blancos have 20 points from 13 games, their worst start since the 2001-2002 season, when they had 19 points at the same stage. Lopetegui's side actually got off to a decent start, with wins over Getafe, Girona, Leganés and Espanyol and a draw with Athletic Club in their first five matches. However, Matchday 6 brought with it a defeat to Sevilla and signalled the start of a string of poor results which brought Lopetegui's tenure to an end.
The Basque coach gained a draw in the Madrid derby but oversaw defeats to Alavés, Levante and Barcelona, with El Clásico the final straw. New coach Solari got off to a decent start in the Madrid dugout, with wins over Valladolid and Celta, but suffered a major setback in Madrid's feeble 3-0 defeat to Eibar. Madrid currently lie in sixth and nothing but a win against Valencia on Saturday at the Bernabéu will be good enough.
Puntos del Real Madrid en la jornada 13
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement