Real Madrid: Carvajal explains Isco captain's armband rejection
Real Madrid's Dani Carvajal has shed light on why Isco did not want the armband when skipper Marcelo was substituted against CSKA Moscow.
Real Madrid's Dani Carvajal has explained why Isco turned down the captain's armband when Marcelo was substituted in Los Blancos' Champions League defeat to CSKA Moscow.
Marcelo tells reporters he tried and failed to give Isco the armband
Speaking post-match on Wednesday, Marcelo had revealed that Isco - who was whistled by a section of the Bernabéu after seemingly confronting the unhappy home crowd during the 3-0 loss - rejected the armband when the Brazilian tried to hand it to him, despite being the longest-serving Madrid player left on the field.
"He told me I had to give it to Carvajal," said Marcelo, who was Madrid's skipper in club captain Sergio Ramos' absence. "I don't know what the reason for that was."
Isco had agreed to give armband to Carvajal, defender explains
However, Carvajal told Real Madrid TV on Thursday: "I feel very proud and honoured to have worn the armband in a competitive match. I'd like to thank Isco, because by rights he should have had it, as he signed for the club a few days before me.
"He wore it against Melilla [in the Copa del Rey last week], and he said to me then that next time, if the circumstance came about again, he would let me have it. I'm grateful to him for that, because it was a really nice gesture."
In an interview with the Spanish television channel La Sexta, Carvajal added: "He [Marcelo] didn't know about it; [...] that's all there was to it."
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?