Brahim Díaz presented as new Real Madrid player
The 19-year-old put the finishing touches on his move from Manchester City to Real Madrid on Monday by coming through a medical ahead of the official presentation.
Real Madrid unveiled new signing Brahim Diaz after the teenager penned a six-and-a-half-year contract on Sunday for a reported initial fee of €17million.
City boss Pep Guardiola said the reigning Premier League champions had done "absolutely everything" to persuade the 19-year-old to sign a long-term contract extension as speculation mounted over Madrid's interest. However, the versatile attacker has opted to further his career in his native Spain.
At the presentation club president Florentino Perez stated: "We keep working to reinforce our squad with the best talent…. Brahim is a player with much talent and character who dreams being successful at the club."
The player, who will wear the No. 21 shirt then spoke stating: "I'm arriving at the club I dreamed of playing as a boy. When I decided to leave City I had just three options - 1 play for Real Madrid, 2 play for Real Madrid, 3 play for Real Madrid."
While Diaz has been signed with the long term in mind, Madrid desperately require a short-term lift after another desperate weekend.
Madrid slip again
Santiago Solari's men were beaten 2-0 at home by Real Sociedad and now trail arch-rivals and LaLiga leaders Barcelona - 2-1 winners at Getafe - by 10 points.
Monday's news agenda in Spain was also driven by footage that showed Gareth Bale leaving the Santiago Bernabeu with 12 minutes to go of the Real Sociedad game.
Bale, sidelined with a minor calf injury, was spotted speeding away from the ground with his team 1-0 down and attempting a late rally. That has led to several commentators questioning the Welshman's commitment to the European champions.
Te recomendamos en English
- ENTERTAINMENT Global Citizen 2021 live online: singers, performances and concerts
- GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN 2021 Why is the White House planning for a government shutdown?
- FOURTH STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: how many signatures does the petition for the new payment have?
- SERIE A Honours even between Inter and Atalanta at San Siro
- PREMIER LEAGUE Enthralling Brentford-Liverpool clash ends with honours even
- SOCCER Man City: Guardiola "proud" after breaking record in Chelsea win