Copa del Rey: Boateng poised for debut as Barcelona axe Suárez
Denis Suárez has been cut from Barcelona's squad to face Sevilla in the Copa del Rey after Kevin-Prince Boateng's signing was ratified.
Kevin-Prince Boateng is in line to make his Barcelona debut against Sevilla in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday, with midfielder Denis Suárez the odd man out.
Boateng sealed surprise move to LaLiga club this week
Boateng completed a shock loan switch from Sassuolo on Tuesday, providing Ernesto Valverde with cover in attack following the departure of Munir El Haddadi to Sevilla.
The 31-year-old was named in a 19-man squad for the trip to the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, with Lionel Messi handed a rest.
Suárez linked with January exit from Barcelona
[BREAKING NEWS] Following confirmation of the transfer of Boateng, there are 18 players in the squad list to face Sevilla FC. Denis Suárez is the player who misses out #CopaBarça— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 23, 2019
However, Barcelona have now confirmed that the ratification of Boateng's transfer by Spain's football authorities means Suarez has been cut from the matchday 18.
Former Manchester City, Sevilla and Villarreal midfielder Suárez has been persistently linked with a move to Arsenal during this transfer window, seemingly as a replacement for the reportedly Juventus-bound Wales international Aaron Ramsey.
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski hoping to break NFL record
- NFL Who plays Monday Night football tonight, Week 13? Games, times, TV
- SOCCER Kylian Mbappé disappointed Real Madrid move falls through
- SOCCER Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life'
- REAL MADRID Benzema out for Inter clash but has one eye on Madrid derby