Asian Cup final: Ali breaks goals record as Qatar stun Japan
Qatar forward Almoez Ali seized a piece of Asian Cup history with a magnificent overhead kick in Friday's final victory over Japan.
Almoez Ali broke an Asian Cup goals record in spectacular fashion as he netted the opener for Qatar in Friday's final win over Japan.
Coming into the showpiece match, breakout star Almoez had netted eight goals so far in the finals to tie Iran forward Ali Daei's single-tournament record from the 1996 edition.
Scores acrobatic goal to bring up record haul of nine
And Almoez took just 12 minutes at Zayed Sports City Stadium to take that honour outright with a stunning goal.
The forward controlled Akram Hassan Afif's cross from the left and teed himself up for a sublime overhead kick that clipped the post on its way into the net for his ninth of the tournament.
9 - Almoez Ali has just broken the record for the most goals ever scored by a single player at an Asian Cup tournament (9), one more than Ali Daei who also scored eight for Iran in the 1996 edition. Overhead. #AsianCupFinal #AsianCup2019 pic.twitter.com/3dgjDdIYJy— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) February 1, 2019
Qatar lift first Asian Cup in Abu Dhabi
Either side of a Takumi Minamino consolation for Japan, Abdulaziz Hatem and Akram Afif were also on the scoresheet for the Qataris as they triumphed 3-1 and claimed their first ever Asian Cup.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool