PSG coach Thomas Tuchel: "We can cope without Neymar"
Neymar's absence was not the reason for Paris Saint-Germain's first league defeat of the season, says coach Thomas Tuchel.
Thomas Tuchel retains faith that his Paris Saint-Germain squad can handle the absence of Neymar, despite slipping to their first defeat of the Ligue 1 campaign on Sunday. Neymar will miss the next two months due to another metatarsal injury sustained in last month's Coupe de France victory over Strasbourg.
Lyon end PSG's unbeaten run in Ligue 1
PSG had won their first game without the Brazil international – against Rennes – but they came up short against Olympique Lyon, losing 2-1 to Bruno Genesio's side. Ángel Di María had given PSG an early lead at the Groupama Stadium, but Moussa Dembélé and Nabil Fekir turned the game back in Lyon's favour, ending PSG's unbeaten run at 20 league matches.
While disappointed, PSG head coach Tuchel found some positives and is confident his squad can cope without Neymar, particularly as the Champions League nears a return. "I do not know it we missed them but it's clear that we do not have a second Neymar or a second [Marco] Verratti, but I have full confidence in the other players," he said. "There were a lot of chances on the line with Angel and [Julian] Draxler who made a very good match. We were too passive after our first goal, we lacked precision, we made bad decisions. Lyon played with a lot of quality, but I liked our second period."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: gymnastics all-around final, Caeleb Dressel 100m free swimming final, medal count, results, today 29 July
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS What does Simone Biles eat? The diet of an Olympic medalist
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Since when has golf been an Olympic sport and why?
- Lollapalooza 2021 Lollapalooza 2021: line-up, times and how to watch and stream
- LOLLAPALOOZA 2021 Lollapalooza 2021: covid rules and restrictions
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it