Luis Suárez: 1,252 days without an away Champions League goal
The Barcelona striker played his 700th professional game last weekend, but he has been unable to bother the onion bag in Europe outside Camp Nou since September 2015.
Luis Suárez will aim to break a run of 16 Champions League away games without finding the net when Barcelona visit Lyon on Tuesday, the Uruguayan having failed to score in Europe outside of Camp Nou in three and a half years.
Suárez’s last Champions League away goal came on September 16, 2015 against Roma in the Stadio Olimpico, 1,252 days ago. More immediately, Suárez is going through a mini drought and hasn’t scored at all since the Copa del Rey quarter-final against Sevilla, going four Liga games without a goal since his last strike against Leganés on 20 January.
Suárez hoping Rome will not prove eternal
0 - Luis Suarez has failed to score (or deliver an assist) in his last 1,418 minutes of play away from home in the Champions League, that’s 23 hours and 38 minutes. The last time he scored on the road came in September 2015 against Roma at the Olimpico. Defiance. pic.twitter.com/nHnivh2mt6— OptaJose (@OptaJose) February 19, 2019
After carrying Barcelona through late October and early November, when Leo Messi was injured, Suárez has gone seven games in total without scoring. The 32-year-old made his 700th professional appearance against Valladolid on Saturday but has played just twice away from home in Europe this season, a knee injury preventing him from making the trip to PSV.
Suárez has chipped in with a couple of assists in the Champions League, both at Camp Nou, and in Milan helped Messi to a double with a pair of dummies, but In Lyon he will hope to bring an end to an extraordinary run of blanks away from home.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth