Filipe Luis makes Catalan sports press front pages a decade on
The Atlético left-back is back on Barça's agenda and features on the front cover of Mundo Deportivo. Frenkie De Jong makes it onto Sports front cover.
While Valverde's team finish off their preparation for tomorrow's crucial game at the Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, the sports press in Barcelona focused on two players who feature on their front covers - recent signing Frenkie de Jong and Atlético de Madrid left-back Filipe Luis.
Guardiola wanted to sign Filipe Luis in 2009
It's been the first time that Filipe Luis has adored the front pages of the media in Catalunya in over a decade. A few years ago, when Pep Guardiola was coach at Barça, the Brazilian full-back was close to becoming a Culé, but Augusto César Lendoiro, then president at Deportivo de La Coruña, demanded that the Blaugranas pay the player's retention fee which made his transfer impossible; Barça ended up signing Adriano from Sevilla instead.
Mundo Deportivo consider Filipe Luis, who is out of contract in June, as a possible summer addition to the squad: "He's 33, he would come on a free transfer and has ample experience to be a decent back-up for Jordi Alba", adding that another candiate for the left-back slot, Olympique Lyonnais' Ferland Mendy, priced between 40-50 million euros, "would be too expensive".
Both Sport and MD published quotes from De Jong who gave his first official interview for the club yesterday: "I'm looking forward to playing alongside Messi", the Dutch player said.
Recommended in English
- FORMULA 1 Lewis Hamilton wants to see change in Saudi Arabia
- SOCIAL SECURITY What is an unrestricted Social Security card? How can I apply for it?
- NFL Bucs' Bruce Arians wants the NFL to look at other teams.
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Betis: times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What is the difference between an abortion pill and Plan B?
- SOCCER AC Milan defender Simon Kjaer out for the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery