Schalke-Man City: Man arrested after alleged assault on away fan
With a Manchester City fan in critical condition, a 30-year-old man has been arrested in connection to an incident in Germany last week.
An unnamed man has been arrested in connection with the alleged assault that left a Manchester City fan in critical condition following their Champions League match against Schalke.
Fan suffered "massive traumatic brain injury"
City appealed for information after the incident at Veltins Arena on 20 February, with some members of club staff remaining in Germany to support the fan's family.
Polizei Gelsenkirchen said the supporter had suffered a "massive traumatic brain injury" as they launched an investigation.
German police confirm arrest made
And police in Germany have now made an arrest relating to the incident.
A 30-year-old man from the city was arrested on Monday morning in the Buer district and is now being held.
Polizei Gelsenkirchen's statement read: "The police arranged a homicide division to help investigate the case. Their extensive investigations directed to the contemporary identification of a suspect.
"The 30-year old man from Gelsenkirchen is a member of the so-called 'Hugos', a problematic grouping of fans."
City won the last-16 first leg 3-2 after late goals from former Schalke winger Leroy Sané and Raheem Sterling.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Messi's numbers at Barcelona: appearances, goals, trophies...
- BARCELONA Messi leaves Barcelona, live updates: reactions, possible new club, details
- OLYMPIC GAMES | RACE WALKING Race walking at Tokyo Olympics 2021: rules, distances and courses
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics 2021: Doncic explains assist-heavy display in France defeat
- OLYMPIC GAMES Gardiner takes 400m crown as Crouser defends his title
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a marathon? How far is it in miles?