Guardiola eyeing Atlético's Thomas as Fernandinho's heir
The Ghana midfielder is under contract at the Metropolitano until 2023 and has a clause of 80 million euros but the City boss sees him as the perfect fit.
Thomas Partey’s performances alongside Rodrigo in Atlético Madrid’s midfield have been one of the few bright points of a disappointing campaign for Diego Simeone’s side and Pep Guardiola has been a keen admirer of the Ghana midfielder according to reports in Thomas’ homeland.
Guardiola is on the look-out for a medium-term replacement for Fernandinho, who at 33 cannot be expected to be the driving force of Manchester City’s midfield indefinitely but who remains one of Guardiola’s key players. With a view to the future, the former Barcelona manager has been keeping tabs on Thomas and is reportedly considering a bid this summer with an overhaul of Atlético’s playing staff on the cards.
Atlético to offer Thomas improved terms
Pep Guardiola is interested in bringing Ghana midfielder Thomas Partey (25) to the Etihad in the summer. Guardiola is a big admirer of the Atletico man, who he likens to his former player, Yaya Toure.— City Xtra (@City_Xtra) 19 March 2019
A swap deal could see Ilkay Gundogan go the other way.
Thomas is under contract at the Metropolitano until 2023 and has a minimum release clause of 80 million euros, which is hardly a prohibitive fee for City. However, Atlético are not keen on losing the Ghana captain and are preparing to offer the 25-year-old, who has made 24 appearances for Atlético in all competitions this season, an improved contract to ward off suitors from the Premier League and Serie A.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA NBA Draft Lottery: What time is it, TV channel, and how to watch it online today?
- NBA When was the last time the Bucks were in the Eastern NBA Conference Finals?
- US NEWS What is a primary election?
- US NEWS When are the NYC mayor elections held?
- Olympic Games How much do Olympic medals cost?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? Tax refund, $3,600 Child Tax Credit portal...